View Single Post
Old 09-25-2023, 09:15 PM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I've had those same thoughts. After reading through previous Camaro6 forum threads, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't worth taking the pads down to lower than the 3mm warning tab depth for track driving. Why?

1) Because the pads wear faster the thinner the pad material gets
2) The pads are not able to disscipate brake energy heat as well, which means more heat going into the rotors and calipers. Not worth it in my opinion.

So given that I do both full weekend HPDEs as well as track night events, I've adopted the following approach to using the OEM Ferodo pads:

1) New pads get used until they reach the 5mm remaining point. At this point, they are designated as being only available to TNIA use.

2) TNIA designated pad sets get used only for TNIA events, with evaluation of remaining material after each event. When pad material gets down to ~ 3.8 mm, pads are no longer suitable for track use and become "road use only"

3) "Road use only" pads get used until you think they should be changed out. 3mm or less depending on how much you daily drive, whether you want to cut the screetch tabs off, and how much of a pain you think it is to check remaining material (especially the inside pads) frequently enough to prevent damage.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote