Thread: End of an Era
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 10:42 AM   #8
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
I don’t know how anyone can go from a ZL1 to a CLS450. I would be bored to death in that CLS. I’d rent a car for a 2500 trip if the ZL1 didn’t fit the bill.
It was easy for me. I bought my ZL1 to travel the United States in. COVID-19 put that a little sideways. However, I was able to strap in for a visit to a friend and a side trip to Gettysburg. 2,500 mile trip. My last leg was Knoxville TN to Lafayette, LA. That was ~740 miles, iron butt mode, with just me in the car. When I got home, I was stove up. Yes, I stopped. I walked. I took time to stretch. It was 14 hours in the car. Great seats, suspension set on Tour and I was still all done when I got home. Not only that, I was gimpy a bit the next day.

The CLS is another world of luxury. The air ride suspension is really nice. The seating is very good. The in-line 6 is buttery smooth. The mild-hybrid boost of 184 pound feet makes for both locomotive like and seamless acceleration. Nope, it isn't a ZL1. This is a (IMHO) very classy looking vehicle. It has an interior that is truly world class. It has wonderful technology and safety features.

The bottom line. I had to take my SO to Shreveport for a doctor's appointment. The appointment required me to wait in the car during the visit. So ~4 hours each way. 2 hours in the car listening to an audiobook. 10 hours and ~450ish miles. I wasn't beat-up. I was not gimpy the next day.

4,000 miles on Route 66 or to Mount Hood. I want to be able to keep moving the next day, if I pull a 700 mile leg.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote