View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 07:01 AM   #19
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Here's how hill start assist works, 'roughly'...

- You come to a stop
- Car is in gear
- Clutch is in
- Foot on the brake holding the car still

As long as the car is on a "steep enough" incline, releasing the brake will engage Hill Start Assist and the car will NOT roll backwards for about 2-3 seconds (much longer in the real world than it sounds like) giving you plenty of time to get the clutch to where it engages and give it a little throttle to start moving forward.

If you have your foot off of the brake for more than 2-3 seconds, the Hill Start Assist cancels. If the car is not in gear when you release the brake, the Hill Start Assist never engages.

My style is to pull up to a light, take the car out of gear, release the clutch pedal, and hold the car with the brake. When the light turns, the clutch goes in, car goes into gear, brake gets released, and off I go.

Honestly - the clutch and transmission on these cars is -really- nice and I've never had an issue pulling away from a stop whether on a hill or not. Sometimes, I release the brake first and THEN put the clutch in and shift into gear and I -still- don't have any issues with starting on a hill.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote