View Single Post
Old 03-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
I was at local dyno day many years ago and they had a 4th gen on it with jury rigged home depot PVC intake and a K&N filter. This 16 year old kid built it himself and we were all rolling our eyes. Per the kid, the car made 1 less HP with the intake than it did a few months earlier. Imagine all the variables involved, right!? ...Operator says "how fast was the cooling fan in front of the car blowing?" I kinda perked up and thought WTF!!!??? Kid had no idea. Guy said his shop tries not to "overcool" the air, so as to give accurate readings, and that the other dyno probably overcooled the engine to get better numbers. It made this kids day. Skeptical, I asked the operator if that was really a thing. He laughed and said no, but it made that kids day and that in 10 years that kid would be building custom engines or tuning record setting drag cars, so he just helps to keep the dream alive when he can. I've never forgotten that.

Some of these mods work. Some don't. It's all hotrodding, and we all start somewhere.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote