View Single Post
Old 12-25-2017, 08:14 AM   #33
Doug Halsey
Toy Collector

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
They build cars to sell today, not in five years. If I were a car company I'd build what I can sell right now.
GM did that with the Cadillac in the late 70's and early 80's and almost ruined the brand by slapping the Cadillac emblem on POS cars. I saw that in a "history of GM" video. It is also one reason GM took bail out money and Ford didn't.

From the above article, "we find that consumers are willing to pay about $1,100 for a 1-second reduction in the time needed to accelerate from 0 to 60 miles per hour (a performance improvement of about 12 percent). Because consumers value performance so highly, the requirement for greater fuel economy means consumers must give up performance, leaving them worse off." Which goes to show that performance matters even in the environment that fuel economy is being pushed down our throats.

So GM does have to think in both worlds where tighter restriction apply, yet people still want their high HP cars. For me a NA is the only way to drive, but I'm still curious about the ZL1 LE (so I'm looking at it).

However, I also am not a fool who is easily parted with my money. I still believe that the fifth gen Z/28 is a marvel when it comes to technology and art - keeping in mind the environment that it was born in. I'm hoping that it will bounce back in value once the "tourist" are done buying them.

As for what GM does next will decide if spending a lot of money (70k+ for me is still a lot of money) is worth the few years of driving pleasure or if I should just buy used at half the cost and still have fun. Let someone else take the hit. This decision does effect future car sales, investment in GM research, and GM's bottom line. For GM to disregard this would mean they will eventually go under.