View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #30
Doug Halsey
Toy Collector

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
I own a 2015 Z/28 and I paid 76K for it. I have also owned several Z06’s, a Ford Cobra, etc. However, none of them crashed in value as fast as my 2015 Z/28. You can now find many fifth gen, low mile, Z/28’s that sell in the mid 40’s.

It all boils down to money. Not just for me the end user, but for GM.

Look at what Ford did with the GT350 & the GT350R. Those cars are keeping their value because Ford made just enough GT350R’s to create demand and then sold a lot of GT350’s. Look at what GM did with the Z/28. It put in ceramic breaks, spool dampeners, a 427 and sticky tires and lost money on new car sales.

Thus as a GM customer I’m wondering if I will ever buy another GM product again. It all depends on what GM does next. If they do anything to lower the value of the ZL1 LE (which I’m looking at now) by making a more focused track car, those owners will be pissed.

I know cars should not be looked at as investments when they are new. You can go to any auction and find a rare low mile car that was worth a lot at one time and now sells for less that a Hyundai. But I do know GM doesn’t want to be known as making cars that should only be bought as used cars.

Also why would GM waste time & money in a market (for track cars) when they already have the ZL1 LE? I think GM has wised up with the ZL1 LE and copied what Ford did. The ZL1 (like the GT350) is cheaper and more comfortable than the ZL1 LE (like the GT350R), but it still gets the LE reputation to help sells.