View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #9
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ZL1Camaro View Post
The instructions for removing water deflectors and tires dams in very vague in the instructions. Can someone tell me which ones are which? Are the water deflectors the rubber squeegee looking pieces? anyone with pics would be helpful? See below:

Underbody Air Deflector

The underbody air deflector tire dam kit (Fig. 13) provided with the ZL1 1LE reduces the amount of aerodynamic lift on the front axle for better handling on a closed course. The original tire dams must be reinstalled after a track event.

Water Deflector

When operating the ZL1 1LE on a closed course in hot temperatures, remove the underhood water deflector to increase airflow and improve cooling. The deflector is secured by three bolts. Replace the water deflector immediately after track use to protect the engine compartment from water intrusion.
Page 17 of the 2017 Camaro High Performance Supplement is very confusing. It talks as if you were handed a kit by the dealer when you took delivery. The "Kit" is already installed. What they're calling the "Original Tire Dam" are the straight pieces (green) that block air from the channels formed by what they call the "Underbody Air Deflector Tire Dam Kit" (yellow). The front air dam (orange) is not even mentioned.

Name:  TireDam.HPSupplement.colored.jpg
Views: 1993
Size:  46.3 KB

If you will drive your car on a road coarse you'll want to remove the ones I've painted green. This will provide supplemental cooling for your front tires and provide additional down-force. The cooling isn't needed for the short runs at the drag strip and the extra down-force will probably increase your ET. Leaving it on will help improve highway gas mileage, again due to less downforce (drag).

To summarize, the only pieces that may need to be removed and reinstalled are the straight pieces (green) on right and left in front of the curved pieces that lead to the tires.

The "Water Deflector" is plastic piece under the hood just to the rear of the hood latch. Page 17 shows the 3 bolts (10 mm) that need to be removed to take it off. I leave mine off unless I'm washing it or driving in the rain (only did this once).

--Cal
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote