View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 09:31 AM   #14
sckt

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
What does the owner's manual say about the diff fluid spec?

I know the dealer should know what the right fluid is, but it doesn't hurt to discuss in advance what should be used. Some Chevy dealers have minimal experience with Camaros.

When I had my diff fluid changed, I discovered that they were about to use the wrong fluid and I had to correct them. They are supposed to go by what the database tells them by VIN, but some mechanics "think" they know better and skip that step, particularly on routine items like fluids.

As for your dealer's claim that no damage was done, I'm not buying it, necessarily. How long did you drive with the wrong fluid and how bad was the noise? Now that they've admitted their mistake, I would politely ask them to replace the clutch pack. The problem is, damage will be impossible to prove. As the clutch pack wears, what happens is gradual reduction in the posi-traction performance. It will take more torque to lock up. It's not a step function from lockup to open diff. If they refuse to replace the clutch pack, you should consider whether you care about reduced LSD performance. If you don't race, maybe this is a non-issue. Nothing is broken; it's just that you may have less torque transfer from the spinning tire to the planted tire.

Finally, let me add that you will always have some moan when cold. A grippy LSD is going to moan when it's cold, and will be silent once it is warmed up, except maybe a little noise on sharp turns in reverse. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This dealer is the largest Corvette dealer in the area. I would hope he hires performance-minded mechanics.

Drove it maybe 100 miles with the wrong fluid. Didn't notice the noise until about 60. I started to have it towed. I wish I would have. We were about 40 miles from home when it started up.

The noise was fairly bad. Straight-line was fine was just in turns.

Thanks for the info. I will talk to the service manager about replacing the packs.
sckt is offline   Reply With Quote