Thread: EV Evalauation
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2024, 06:49 AM   #4
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok, I had a chance to get a new company lease car and I selected an EV. Tomorrow I should be picking up a VW ID4 AWD Pro S. Only 2 months before retirement so it seemed like a good way to try out an EV. A lot of consternation here so I’ll let you know how it goes.

Already charging is the issue. It sounds good on paper as VW offers unlimited 30 minute charging sessions with Electrify America. Problem is there are currently two. One 40 minutes North the other 40 minutes South. A new one is under construction about 15 minutes away. The other concern is charging speed. The car comes with a 110 V charging cord which gets you about 2 miles per hour of charging at Level 1. Locally there are public charging stations but they are level 2 which gets you 25 or 30 miles per hour if charging. Tesla Superchargers that can charge non teslas are just rolling out. So I used a few Amazon gift cards and bought a home Level 2 charger. But for Fort Myers, charging publicly is a poor alternative to home charging over night.

Excited to try it for a few months, as retirement is close I’ll have to give it up.

As I’ve stated, I’m pro EV but anti government subsidy. I expect this to be interesting but I already feel the range anxiety. Home charging should fix that but concerned with being away from home with fewer alternatives.

I know it won’t replace the sound and rumble of the V8 (or turbo 4s I’m currently driving) but I suspect for getting around in a non performance car it should be at least interesting if not fun.

Keep you posted.
If only someone would have warned you...

All BS aside have fun with your experiment and congrats on the retirement.
Current mileage: 313
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote