View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
Trackpack

Drives: 1LE
ZL1 Mightymouse Catch Can Supplemental Instructions (Warranty Sensitive)

Here are some learnings for catch can installation on the 2018 Camaro ZLE LT4. I have ~20 years of track experience with GM products and purchased the car with ~9k miles specifically to take it to the track with slicks. I've installed catch cans in several GM cars. I'm not an engineer or mechanic so this is in laymen's terms. The factory drivetrain warranty is important for me to maintain.

You can see the oil residue left in the supercharger after 9k miles. By looking at the car, the previous owner did not drive it in anger.

The car came with a factory oil recovery system highlighted in yellow and in the picture with three tubes on the top. The routing of the hose from the PCV valve to the catch can is highlighted in white. The catch can has the road course "overflow" attachment instead of the vent filter which is highlighted in red. I wrapped the drain tube from the bottom of the catch can in heat resistant tape and connected it below the vehicle. It is very close to the exhaust header so it likely won't last. The tube from the overflow valve at the top is routed below the car and tied to the transmission.

I care deeply about the warranty. I'm going to drive the car like a stole it on slicks with no further modifications. The Torque to Yield bolts for the supercharger are $20 each from the dealer or you can purchase a kit which includes the gaskets and bolts for $144. See picture with item number below.

Remember, only the bolts from the Supercharger to the heads are single use. The catch can is drawing vacuum from the intake to brake booster line. This part took trial and error to find with my dealer. It is important to me that I have the factory replacement that has not been cut. In the event of an engine failure, I need to be able to return this car to 100% stock. having this pipe on hand allows me to do this.

The car hasn't been on the track yet. Who knows how much oil the catch can will capture in a track setting. At this point, I would not have installed a catch can but instead would have removed the supercharger cover and cleaned out the oil at the end of each track season. I get that most of the oil is going to the back of the valves. The issue is being out of state with a modified vehicle when the oil pump or something else fails. I will need to get it home and return it to stock before the warranty claim.

I hope this helps people in a similar situation.

God bless
Attached Images

Trackpack is offline   Reply With Quote