Thread: Supercharger
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2022, 07:53 PM   #27
PeteSS2018

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
As someone who's done what was asked about by the OP, my experience (in Australia) has been great, although who knows how "safe" it truly is.

My 2SS has a 2.9l whipple, max 9.5psi, standard fuel system (on our 98 which is approximately US 93 octane fuel). It was custom tuned to about 550 whp so relatively safe. I've had the same set up now for nearly 3 years and 25,000 miles. Regular servicing, oil changes at approx 5,000km (3500 miles or so). I never drive it to redline, no need to and honestly I don't want to lose my licence.

I've never raced it, have no plans or desire to. Its just a great street car - looks awesome and has great performance. Leaves most things behind without much effort. The torque of the engine makes it a fantastic car to drive on ordinary roads, and when you want to give it a bit more gas then it responds as you expect.

Is it a "safe" set up ... well that's relative. Its obviously not as safe as an unmodified factory original car. But you pay to play. The certainty of the huge performance increase for me out weighs the risk of something breaking. Life is like that - nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Eibach Prokit springs
Mamo LT1 Ported TB
PeteSS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote