Thread: Supercharger
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2022, 10:15 AM   #23
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I am speaking in terms of longevity not what the car can do for a couple track days. Setting a car up for street use is a different ball game. You are not always in the optimal gear. There might be times where you leave it in a lower gear and floor it which puts a heavier load on the engine. Or running it out past the 1/4 mi will be a massive difference in heat. Run 6th gear out to redline in a A8 car and let me know how long the SBE lasts on 93. All that makes a difference.
. . .
THAT makes sense. On THAT basis, I think I am pretty safe with my Magnuson tune, because:

- Davenport presumably tells Magnuson that local gas outside a small area surrounding City of Calgary is only 91 octane. Per Davenport's owner, Shell is apparently planning to extend 93 octane throughout most of Alberta, but that is not yet done.

- With my A10 transmission, I am never in the wrong gear. As soon as I hit the gas pedal, it downshifts aggressively. And 10 gears means it never needs to be in a wrong gear.

- My car will never see a trackday nor a dragstrip. And, on the street, our Canadian speed limits, and the draconian punishments for exceeding them (e.g. automatic impounds when you go more than 30 kph = 20 mph over the limit, license suspensions, etc) mean that the engine will never go high load/high rpm for more than about 6 seconds (The time needed to get to 140 KPH = 87 mph on a 110 kph speed limit deserted highway when you have 553 rhwp, even if you start from a dead stop, which I would never do because I don't ever race).

- Remember that Magnuson provides a warranty (provided that you stay with their provided tune unaltered), so I doubt that they are going to risk having an engine destroy itself.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote