View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #28
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
With many of us, having a daily driver is almost a requirement. While I would love to drive my car(s) more, my living environment (traffic, climate, people that purposely damage other people's property) forbids me to drive my Sunday's best without supervision. This is the main reason that I fully utilize my daily driver.

In the past, my daily driver was lacking in overall quality, refinement and creature comfort in comparison to my stored cars. Recently, I've had a change in thinking of a daily driver. Presently, I feel that a daily driver should be as entertaining (whether in creature comfort, performance, styling) as one's main car. If your daily driver can achieve a high level of satisfaction, then the ownership experience becomes more satisfying.
Elegantly put! Exactly my thoughts but you put it into words much better than I could.

My daily commute is as mundane as they come - a 6 mile urban route with plenty of traffic lights and school buses, and straight as an arrow. So comfort and features are what you want rather than performance.

For too long I drove a rusting 2003 Mini as a daily driver, while my 2015 BMW M235i and then later my 2018 Camaro 2SS spent most of their time in the garage. The Mini was a far cry from the luxury of the BMW and had none of the creature comfort features of the 2SS.

But my new replacement 2015 F56 Mini daily driver solves those problems and more, with luxury touches and tech features while still being extremely practical and economical. It has the luxury "Lounge Leather" seats, the BMW iDrive, oops, MINI Connected infotainment system with built-in hard drive to store music, Navigation, a very nice Harman Kardon stereo, and all the tech we expect in a modern car. And it still has a manual transmission and quick steering so the driving part isn't a total bore. And of course the styling is fun and quirky and instantly recognizable compared to the cookie-cutter SUVs and sedans in the parking lot.

Both my cars are enjoyable now, and each serves its own purpose.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote