View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
Divrdown

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
differential leaking

Checking to see if I can get some info on this issue here in main section.

I posted this on another topic but this took care of the issue for me. As noted I only got the burning smell when I stopped or when I was backing up.

OK I just went out and jacked up the car to check the rear differential as there are cooling lines going to and from it and thought it may be leaking. I found that where the differential is mounted using bushings towards the front of the car there is fluid all around them. This fluid is then dripping down onto the exhaust just enough to leave a stain where its burning off.
The bushing is just a rubber or polyurethane bushing inside the cast housing and of course there are no fittings. Does anyone know if these are supposed to be filled / sealed with grease? Or are they just greased up to allow installation? I went ahead and cleaned all of the run off with a cleaner to see if this cures the burning smell. I attached a couple of pictures to show the parts.

update 06-14-2018
Changed the fluid in the differential today. Found that there is still fluid seeping out from around the mounting bushings I pictured above in the older post. It does not appear to be leaking at any of the lines.

Any ideas where this could be coming from? I cleaned it all up again and there is just a trace of the fluid around the bushings again, enough to run down onto the exhaust. It smells like the gear oil but unless there is breather vent on top of the differential then I can not find a source for the fluid. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Divrdown is offline   Reply With Quote