View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #264
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post
I'm still willing to bet all the stunning and brave folks here could not work an assembly line for a year or turn wrenches and make a career out of it. Sounds like most have fallen right into the trap of I gotz a degree so I deserve to make more than you.
Perhaps you haven’t looked at an automobile assembly line in the last 30 years.

Forget how highly automated they all are, there is no point on any line of any massed produced car on the planet in 2019 where anyone needs to even “pick up a wrench”. All the bolts are driven using air or electric drivers and the torque specs are preset. Lifting assemblies like doors, dashboards, and wheels are done with hydraulic assistant equipment. The line worker just guides them into place with whats essentially a computer game joystick and uses the air or electric socket to drive in the bolts to spec. Heck the lug nut drivers have all 5 on one gun - all the worker has to do is grab a handful of lug nuts out of the bin, put them on the stems, grab the driver and boom all 5 nuts are driven in at the same time right to torque spec!

There are many points on a line where a worker literally sits in a chair all day!!

You really need to hit YouTube and watch the “How It’s Made” series on the Camaro plant in East Lansing and the Corvette plant in Bowling Green.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote