View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLT1 View Post
hello everyone, i've been lurking around here a while. this is my first post and i was wondering if anyone has cammed their car and actually smogged it in CA? is a mild cam possible? i'm so limited in what i can do here and was just wondering if anyone has accomplished this feat or am i just being crazy here. thanks
Hi NorCalLT1,

Emissions testing is a slippery slope, and in a strict state like California it is definitely difficult to modify a vehicle, however it can still be done. If the car still has all of the factory components, manifolds, catalytic converters, etc. and none of the tuning has disabled any of the emissions system, the car should technically pass.

If the car does have aftermarket parts installed, they must have a CARB certification to go along with it. As an example, there are many aftermarket supercharger systems that will include tuning that are CARB certified as well.

With a mild camshaft you are not changing the location or operation of any emission components. As long as the car is properly tuned and all of your emissions monitors are complete you should be ok. At the end of the day, the smog technician still has the final say when it comes to passing or denying the car for any reason. So if you do plan on modifying your car you have to keep this in mind.

Kind regards,

Stephen Komlos
JDP Motorsports
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote