View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #12
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
valve springs have come a long way in 18 years. The LS1 was the first beehive spring I ever worked with and yep I was changing springs every 6 months on my street driven ride and it WAS a bummer. My type R goes to 10,000 RPM and the valve springs are good for 50,000 miles, stock type R can go to 8800 RPM with Mugen / spoon tune and the stock oval springs are good for like 100,000 miles. It just a whole lot longer for good springs to come to US iron. I actually don't know why but my speculation would be that the much bigger v8 spring has cooling and work hardening issues at high rpm while the smaller springs for 4v engines have far more surface area per internal volume so run cooler and don't generate fatigue points. Off the cuff.

also the 112 LSA had poorer idle / vacuum and back then .525 for a true daily driver was iffy at best. Sure we were doing it, but "we" were also changing valve springs every 6 months. I know now we laugh at .525 lift.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote