View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #34
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Of course its going to be more expensive than a Silverado. Its a freakin' Hummer. They were NEVER cheap. I'm 99% sure that the H1 was the first vehicle GM ever sold in the 6 figures (though some Cadillacs in the old days might have been up there, once you adjust for inflation). The H2 cost about as much as an Escalade, if not more. The H3 was around 50% more expensive than a Trailblazer or Colorado. They have never been affordable vehicles for the masses. So I don't know why anybody would expect the new ones to be anything different. Yes, the new electric Hummers will be expensive ... but new gasoline powered Hummers would be expensive too. As would diesel or CNG or hydrogen or whatever else.

That high price point is almost certainly the reason why GM made the decision to revamp it as an EV brand: so that they can actually make money off of an electric vehicle for once. (Cadillac ELR doesn't count, it was a hybrid like the Volt ... and it still might have been a net loss anyway given that it sold in abysmally small numbers)
DG... great to see you're still around.
i gotta say, though - i'm willing to bet they're still trying to recover from their whole H2 advertising campaign that pitched owning a Hummer meant you were tough, wanted to look like a balla, & had enough cash to not care about fuel mileage or the environment.

that ultimately shot them in the foot when the market took a downturn a dozen yrs ago. it also hurt the H3, which they had to then tout as the economical luxury choice that was all about offroad adventure. owning an H3 now, it's a surprisingly nice dial-back from the H2 gaudiness with great drivability, awesome stock offroad capability, and relatively good efficiency for a 5000lb AWD truck on 34"s... all while having pretty decent comfort amenities for a 10yr old base-model truck (because even the base levels had most of the same standard features as the high-end options).
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote