View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 11:07 PM   #13
TheBrightSide

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS coupe (MT)
I have a friend I know, with 167k miles on his 2011 2SS L99 coupe right now, which he got around 132k or so, and he’s been beating the piss out of the car for the first 20-25k miles or so that’s he had it. Up until recently, I don’t think he cared to maintain it at all, since he wasn’t much of a car enthusiast until I met up with him, to actually go over the car, and show him my personal similar ride (2010 2SS LS3 coupe).

He did start telling me about some concerning “tick” noises, coming from his engine bay, which I assumed were either noisy lifters or fuel injectors; which seemed to be the more common two issues with most “ticking” engine sounds. But the concerning part, is that my LS3 had a similar ticking sound coming from the engine bay (with the cosmetic cover off), and it appeared to quiet down upon warming up the engine… odd.

Both me and my friend tried top end cleaning the engine, spraying Seafoam or whatever other brand, like CRC, Lucas, etc.; and then we would run a bunch of fuel system cleaner through the fuel tank. I, myself, also typically run Marvel’s Mystery Oil formula in my fuel tank, so I thought we could try some in the engine (at our own discretion, of course). We didn’t put much, but I think we each both put roughly ~0.25-0.45 qts or something along those lines (can’t recall the fl oz numbers). It did little to quiet down the engine; and the same occured with adding pretty much any other form of oil additives.

Now, my LS3 probably had the ticking as early as 25k miles of ownership, but I believe it’s quieted down now, with 33k miles on the odometer. My friend sticks to 5w-30, and has been contemplating running 5w-40 (I told him 0w-40 or 0w-30 would work better), and I’ve personally been running 0w-40. At this point, we have no idea what the ticking sounds are, but obviously with his high mileage L99, he doesn’t beat on it nearly as much anymore, now that I’ve scared him (he doesn’t maintain his car well enough)…

Aside from that, both of our cars are relatively healthy, and for maybe 5-10k miles, my friend had his AMF/DOD system in his L99, disabled through a SCT X4 flash tuner. He eventually turned it on, to gain back an extra 1-3+ MPG; but I have another friend who ran the disabled AFM/DOD in his L99 for 2-3+ years, with a DiabloSport inTune i3 8200 flash tuner, with no major issues.
TheBrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote