View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #24
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I'll add to this and say that for most people it is just a primitive/non-conscience reaction. Most people have some sort of competitive nature about them.

I see it on the freeway all the time, no matter the vehicle I am driving. When you start to overtake someone, something triggers in their brain and they feel the need to speed up, as soon as you over take and create some distance, they resume their original pace.
i agree. i wouldnt pin it on competition, per say, but the habits are definitely present. it’s my experience that the vehicle and approach speed has little effect on outcome. i am a truck driver. i catch cars on the road all the time driving 3-5 mph slower than i am. i initiate a pass and the aforementioned scenario plays out, but at a much slower rate. in a governed vehicle, i spend the next 15 miles trying to get around someone swinging 10 mph. once i get in front of them they fade away just as quickly as i had caught them. quite possibly the most annoying behavior on the road.