View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 09:04 AM   #6
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
That's a separate issue, but GM really should change the process to have the end pieces installed at the plant for more consistent fitment / gaps. There have been several posts on misaligned end pieces.

^THIS, plus the dealerships put adhesion promoter all over the fender tops, potentially ruining the paint when they mount the winglets. Mine (Red) looked faded and stained under the winglets when I first removed them, until I waxed it with a scratch remover and it sat out in the summer sun a couple days . Not sure if that's how they are directed to do the install from Chevy, but it is definitely not the correct use of adhesion promoter. The 3M adhesion promoter is NOT supposed to be applied to painted surfaces and is only needed to get the double sided tape to adhere to plastic/fiberglass. 3M tape will adhere to the painted surface of a car without issue if the surface is cleaned with alcohol first. Most failures of the tape are when it separates form plastic surfaces or when the painted surface is not cleaned of any wax's or other residue.
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote