View Single Post
Old 05-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
2017 1LE Suggestions/Help

After building my engine. I now find the need of upgrading the sound of the interior. I read Msquare post and also read his stuff on audiofrogs FB group and seemed like good data BUT I really wasnt looking forward to spend 600-700 specially only dash and doors (fazing out the rear panels is what he did) but my brain doesn't go with having speakers there and not using them.

Reading around I came across the Kenwood which provides kind of a straight swap and considering their price range I could have all 6 speakers (dash, door and rear panel) in my car upgraded for the price of just the door audiofrogs.

All the things Msquare requirements, were my same requirements but on a lower budget. This means keeping OEM wiring, not add ton of amps or subs for weight savings (even tho now at 1K HP im kinda reconsidering that) but there's still the vibration issue from having a sub (my meth tank/pump are in the trunk, scared vibrations would damage something on the long run)

So like stated before I went with Kenwood eXcelon KFC-KP6902C which comes with dash 2.75 and 6x9 woofers just like oem and for the rears I choose their 6.5 coaxials KFC-X174

The sound of the 1LE has always been one of the draw backs specially coming from a VW with the fender audio system. However, to me it wasn't THAT BAD considering what it was so I never bothered changing anything. Being an active member of the forum I read lots of info here but honestly never understood the whole DSP, LOC vs just putting an amp and speakers like back in the day... its very confusing for me.

As of today I've only installed the dash speakers (waiting on the speaker adaptors for the door/rears) The sound quality is already night and day HOWEVER I did find out what people said in other posts about volume being the same... again its not THAT BAD actually its already better with just the dash but I'm looking for info If indeed I HAVE to go the amp route....

Thanks for reading thus far.... now for the actual questions:
  • Do I NEED a DSP if I go with an amp?
  • Since I'll have 6 speakers do I need a 4,6 channel or 5,7 Channel if I decided to go with a sub?
  • Are the dash speakers individual from the doors? because when I fade to the top left I still hear both dash and door. So it confuses me in knowing if this is would take 1 channel or 2 channels on the amp (remember I want keep factory wiring)
  • If I add a sub can I use the rear shelf for that? What can I put there, 8" subs? Just really trying to stay away of putting a box in the trunk
Attached Images