View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 10:21 AM   #35
JitteryJoe

Drives: 21' LTI, '18 Traverse, '15 Mazda 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
I was taught to always have the car in gear in case you have an emergency and need to move the car ASAP. Whether sitting at a light or slowing the car down you should be in a gear that will power the car if needed. I don't find it difficult to hold the clutch for a few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Generally, I follow that as well. At a stop light, however, I don't leave it in gear because keeping the clutch pedal down can cause additional wear on the clutch.
To each their own but I couldn't imagine a situation where I'd be stopped at a light staring at my rearview mirror the whole time waiting for someone texting to run into the back of me (and I got rear ended 3 years ago). There would either be a car in front of me or cross traffic if I was the first car at the light 99.9% of the time.

My parents would always criticize me coasting to the light in neutral for the same reasons . I'm always checking my mirrors for awareness of the cars around me. If someone is coming up on me out of nowhere at triple the speed limit I'd be better off pulling out of the way then trying to outrun them anyway (well maybe not now with the Camaro )
JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote