View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
POLISHED THROTTLE BODY and INTAKE SPACER

Hey guys I just love this forum. I also have a 2017 2LT RS with the 3.6 motor. I purchased the car last year in October and have been doing tons of research on Mods that the dealership wont complain too much about because they said ANY mods will void the warranty (which is B.S)
Anyway... here is a list of what I did:
1. Airaid Jr Intake
2. Airaid highflow air filter
3. Airaid throttle body spacer and spiralmax intake fins
4. 2X Aeroturbine MUFFLERS (now JONES EXHAUST) behind the exhaust valves.
5. Mishimoto modified catch can routed to each manifold.
6. Ported and polished TB and flanges removed from the inside of the
upper intake manifold.

I will posts some pics of what I did so that everyone can see a little later on today.

I was reading all the posts about the TB spacers as being wasteful and to choose the 80MM throttlebody instead. However, I had already purchased the spacer and wanted to give it a try. The airaid unit is the only one on the market that fits behind the throttle plate for our 2016
to 2018 V6 engines. I have to admit that it works as advertised for the $150 spent. it causes the car to pull much harder. Throttle response is much better without any type of electrical controller or even a tune. and it helped alot with that sorry 1st gear lag. I also added an old spiralmax unit (basically a turbonator but smaller). You can actually make them out of thin sheet metal so dont spend $40. This was inserted BEFORE the throttle plate and once again the car pulled HARDER. I swear my gas mileage was also increasing. Of course I am using the butt dyno but how a car feels and performs is the ultimate test!

Sooooooo....I then went to YouTube and looked up how to dremel and modify the TB and decided to polish it up using a dremel tool, sandpaper, and aluminum polishes. I also removed the plastic air baffles inside the plastic manifold thanks to reading the posts on these threads about the Overkill ported kit. All I can say now is OMG the car feels like a rocket in 1st gear. I flat out floored it on the highway and there is constant power through the entire rpm range in all gears. No CELs or engine problems!

Here is my perspective on how they work. if you have highflow intake and muffler mods then the TB spacers will add on to your overall power. if you do them by itself then you will only get a modest gain. I am estimating that I am getting an extra 25 at the wheels with everything.

Finally I really, really, really need an NA tune. I have the HPTuners software and interface already. I I'm hoping that someone already had been using HPT and can provide some guidance or baseline tunes. I am constantly checking the tune repository on their website with no luck yet.
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote