View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #58
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
EPB is definitely not one of those features in it's current state, though. The increased functionality greatly outweighs the minimal cons their are. You have to consider the more obscure use cases where something's failed. The everyday person won't necessarily see that condition, but if it does ever happen you'll be super glad it's there. Just using it as a parking brake sure it might be a little worse, but that's not the whole picture by a long shot. It's <5s for the EPB to apply so it's not like it's an excruciatingly long wait, and not having the tactile feedback of the lever or pedal is one of those "I'm not used to it so I don't like it" arguments. Basically every other system on modern cars (windows, HVAC, throttle, ignitions, engine spark, even brakes and steering on some cars) are controlled by the driver manipulating some form of electronic switch to control something else, so it's kind of interesting that people are so against doing the same with something as simple as a park brake.
Not everybody wants their cars to do things that they can fully handle in real time, and you should not assume that everybody should be willing to continually adapt themselves to their cars every time something new comes down the driver-assist technology pike. Last I understood, it was the people who owned and controlled the cars, not the other way around.

Norm