View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #34
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Unfortunately, running a square setup is not an easy task for 10.5" or 11 wheels up front without having too much poke in the rear and/or having some grinding, 10-15 mm spacer and of course longer wheel studs because of the thick spacers up front.

Another option is to get some camber plates but I'm personally not a big fan of them and not sure how many people would be willing to install them (especially after hearing the failures). It still won't address the issue of having the offset delta between front and rear by the way.

You can of course run 19x10" or 18x10" wheels but it would be a downgrade at the road course track all things being equal (running used slicks or R7s is not everyone's cup of coffee)

Also ZL1 1LE specific wheel specs will only work on ZL1 1LE (duh) and probably the previous Gen Z28 as they both had Multimatics and fender clearance. Although the rear fitment will be fine, the front will rub (Sean used them at the Laguna Seca) and some spacers will be required to be able to run more than -2.5 camber. ZL1 owners have the wider fenders but they still have the same struts so inner clearance issue will still be there. For the reference, going from 10" with +20mm offset to 11" with +11 mm offset will move the tires 22mm further out and result in 4mm less clearance inside which will probably be an issue with aggressive camber.

I think the most ideal setup for a broader audience would be something like :

19x10.5" +14 (same inner clerance, 12mm furher out) offset for the front for clerance and camber and
19x11.5" +37mm offset (same inner clerance, 12mm further out) so the overall track width for both front and rear would remain the same.
Having 19x12" with around +35-40mm would still work for the rear

For the 18" wheels (SS and SS 1LE owners only as the front wheels won't clear those ZL1,ZL1 1LE or Gen 5 Z28) brakes:

18x10.5" +12mm (because of the tighter fitment due to knuckle)
18x11" +43 or +44mm ( Already offered with FL-5, SM 10 and EC-7 models) for the rear

I was running 325s on 11" with no issue as it's within the recommended range and since 335 or 345 may be not be that necessary since we don't have the power of the ZL1 cars

I hope that helps

Great information Cem. Remember when we were asking this stuff 8 months ago? Seems like a lifetime. This nails everything down.