View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 07:35 PM   #110
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
This just an old farts opinion on these new contraptions:

I voted that they should include the A10 to the Z28 IF it merits and contributes to this track star's abilities. Aaron Link's comments about how good it was in the ZL1 contributed my decision. I do believe that as technology for automatics progresses they become better and better with each new model. Are these truly as good as a DCT? Being able to shift as fast as a DCT does not make it as reliable. DCT's have shown their reliability after years of use in numerous model high end cars. The new A10 and others still have to prove their mettle on and off the track.

Case in point, the Chevy A8 transmission was also touted as having shifts as fast or quicker than a PDK which was it's benchmark. It might shift as fast as a PDK but reliability wise not as good. It has been well documented that numerous A8 equipped Corvettes have overheated under track use, mine included. How reliable will the A10 be, only time and track use will let us know for sure. The Z28/ZL1 should have better cooling capabilities than Corvettes have but lets have some owners in real life tell us how they are really doing.

Let's get back on track and to the OP's question. As most people know for drag racing, an automatic will beat a manual every time. I don't care how good you are at rowing a stick, you will not out shift an automatic. Being a drag racer from the late 60's, yes we had cars then, my 67 Nova with a Turbo 400, shift kit and B&M Bang Shifter was a very consistent bracket racer. Fifty years later, computer controlled transmissions are light years ahead of my Turbo 400. Most track cars use some sort of DCT (automatic) transmission without any stigma of not being a manual transmission in numerous racing sanctions including F1, IMSA and almost everything else outside of NASCAR. I do believe that modern automatics are making steady advancements on DCT's. Because of this, the A10 should be included as an option if for no other reason than to help improve the A10 for future use. Although the A10 might not be my choice, I would not want to deprive someone else from having it just because I did not want it or felt that the marque would be historically damaged by having an automatic.