View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #108
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
What I'm saying is that the difference is going to be the kind of difference that only shows up on lap timing clocks, which only matters when there is something at stake for winning or at least finishing on the podium. Things like tire contingencies, class standings, and trophies.

At HPDE there is no winning in the traditional sense and no contingencies. While you might notice that each shift takes less time to be executed, for most of us it's going to be within the 'noise' even among laps that don't involve passing or being passed.

Technically, I do have to wonder about shift harshness and whether the engine can be rev-matched fast enough to mitigate this or what other techniques might also be needed (and what else comes with them). Those things still take finite amounts of time to accomplish, so yes, I'm sure that you could have the actual gearshifting part a little too quick for its own good.

Drag racers have had quick-shifting automatics for years, and from what I've seen (and heard with my own ears) is that they're pretty harsh. Chirping your rear tires won't be what you want if you aren't pointed straight ahead and the throttle the only pedal in use. And as fast and as well-suited to the track as DSGs are, even they can still be harsh under part-throttle conditions. These things are getting better, but since magazine reviews still mention this from time to time they aren't quite there yet.

Norm
Thanks Norm. I still disagree but I understand better what you were saying.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote