View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
ZL1 and ZL1 1LE 500/1500 Mile and Beyond Service Info

Hello Camaro6,

Thought I'd make a concise thread on the basic fluid service of the Camaro. This guide can be applied to ZL1, ZL1 1LE, SS, SS 1LE vehicles as well as C7 Z06/GS/Stingray/CTS-V etc.

Preliminary:
Regarding the 500/1500 interval, right out of the gate, I know there are two kinds of owners here. Type A is going to do the 500/1500 oil change/diff change without question, and already is doing research on it. Type B is going to question why it's necessary and show why it's unnecessary and how engine break-in was in in their day. I am not going to get into that discussion. If you want to change the oil and diff, I would highly recommend it and so would the GM track prep guide (link) as well as GM engine break-in guide. Either Type are free to use this guide as this applies to any interval of service on the Camaro ZL1/ZL1 1LE/SS 1LE etc.

Now onto the service itself.

Oil:
The OEM used fluid on the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE depends on the year:
2017-2018 ZL1's were factory filled with 5W30
2019+ ZL1's were factory filled with the new 0W-40 ESP

The recommended fill for GM LT1, LT4, LT5, and LTA engines at a GM Dealership is now Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40. This is NOT the same oil as the current 0w40 Extended Performance or 0w40 European. There is no difference in the engines of 2017-2018 ZL1's and 2019+ ZL1's. It was merely the timing of the new oil launch with the debut of the LT5 and LTA engines. This Oil is new and is formulated for the LT1 (SS/SS 1LE), LT4 (ZL1/Z06/CTS-V), LT5 (ZR1), and LTA (CT6-V) engines. For the LT4, it can be used for both street AND track use*. This also applies for LT1 vehicles (SS/SS 1LE).

*Warning: If you engage your ZL1 1LE in severe track use, GM still recommends switching to 15W50 for track duty as the ZL1 1LE is capable of such lateral grip that the added protection in the heavier 15W50 is necessary for maximum security.*

Differential:
The diff fluid should be changed during and after break-in. The fluid will be loaded up with break-in/machining grease, black gunk, and shiny stuff. Use the OEM ACDelco fluid when you change it and nothing else is my recommendation. The additive in the OEM fluid is critical to the eLSD and it makes no sense to mess with a good thing in purchasing a separate gear fluid and additive etc. Just use the OEM stuff.

Parts Numbers & Names: - Even if you're having this done at a dealership, I would recommend saving this page on your phone or noting these numbers.
Oil: 19370233 - Mobil 1 Dexos 2 0-40 ESP - 1 Quart (You'll need 10) (Just for extra info, 1 Liter is GM Part # 19353135 and a 55 gallon drum is GM Part # 19370234.)
Oil Filter: ACDelco PF64 (Either version will work. Old is 12640445, new is 12696048. They can be used interchangeably.)
Diff Fluid: 88862624 - 10-4034 - 75W-90 ACDELCO 1 Quart (You'll need 2)

Additionals:
Fluid Pump - If you are doing this service yourself, you will need a fluid pump as the fill port for the diff is on top of it and you can't pour into it. Something like this will work.
0W40 Oil Cap - 12686472 (Not necessary, but the info on it will reflect oil in the car if you have a 2017/2018)
Magnetic Oil Drain Plug - OEM plug is not magnetic. If you want to get a magnetic plug, I recommend a Dimple. M12x1.75 is the correct one. The OEM diff plug is already magnetic.

DIY Steps:
1) Open oil fill port, then lift vehicle, remove the plug to drain the oil from the pan, and remove the old oil filter once pan is empty
2) Crack the diff fill cap first, then drain the diff by removing the plug on the bottom
3) Once finished draining, reinstall diff drain plug. Using the fluid pump, fill diff from top port with about 1.8 quarts of fluid. Torque caps to 24 foot pounds.
4) Prime and install new oil filter.
5) Install factory oil plug or Dimple Magnetic plug in the pan
6) Fill with 10 quarts of oil.
7) Start and verify oil pressure immediately
8) Drive the vehicle in a few tight figure eight patterns in an open area to mesh the gears and fluid in the diff

Done deal. Feel free to drop any questions you might have in a post below.

Tutorials and Additional Info:
If you will be jacking up the vehicle or using a lift, please make sure to use the proper lifting methods. This involves the use of pinch weld adapters at the designated areas.

Forum Member @ProjectZL1 put together this helpful video for the rear diff service. Here's a link to it:

Last edited by Can'tHave2MuchHP; 04-15-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote