View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #88
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
at the ZL1 being "underpowered". How about: just not as extreme hp as the heavier cars (i.e. 4,170 lbs GT500 and 4,525 lbs Hellcat Redeye)?

IMO MSRP to MSRP, the GT500 (base) similarly equipped to a ZL1 is not quite up to the overall performance value of a ZL1 because it is a lot more expensive. This is because the ZL1 comes fully equipped - with the GT500 you have to option in the Recaros (which are manual and are not heated/cooled), and the Tech package, so at $79,700 with those two options, it still doesn't have quite as many features as a ZL1. And that doesn't even factor in the ADM that most dealers still seem to be charging.

Contrary to the ADMs of the Shelby, GM is offering incentives on all Camaros, including the ZL1. So at the moment, a buyer is looking at ~$66k for an A10 ZL1 with a few options vs. likely $85k for a similarly equipped GT500 (with a "moderate" $5k ADM). A $19k price difference buys you an extra 110 hp (and a bonus ~250 lbs), and a DCT and CF driveshaft, and several tenths in the 1/4 mile at a drag strip (not really on the street due to traction limitations). That extra dough is why it's not quite the performance value that the ZL1 is.

I suppose if you could find a completely base GT500 for $74k, then it may be an equal performance value to an A10 ZL1 with a few options since they'd only be about $8k apart at those prices ($66k vs. $74k).

Of course, this all assumes people can actually find any of these cars to buy, or that they can be ordered and built right now!
Haha, I had to put "underpowered" in quotation marks on the comment. Although from a pure numbers perspective it is underpowered, I'll also add that GM spent a lot of research into building a WHOLE car that certainly makes better use of the power it does have. Which is why it can compete with the higher powered competition and in many cases win. I'd say the ZL1 can beat the competition in more performance comparisons than it will lose in and that says a lot considering that at the least it is "underpowered" by 110HP.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote