View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #34
Jdelgado92

Drives: '16 Red hot M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Ok I hear you and that advice works with my logic if i had slow starts every time. I never have starting issues on a cold engine. It happens on a warm start especially if that start comes within 5-10 minutes after a stop.

Sorry OP for the thread jack. I jumped in because I'm frustrated with the slow starts and the potential of the OEM
battery being in the issue. My replacement OEM battery cranked well for a year but now not so much.
It’s most likely between your battery and starter. If the battery is okay then the starter is the issue. They get heat soaked from long or hard driving and cause it to hesitate when your try to start it immediately or even 5-10 min. Mine always had this problem but I didn’t think anything of it, I even started a thread about it and people told me it was normal which it isn’t. It started with hesitation to crank up then I started noticing that my rpm gauge would occasionally flicker without affecting the car physically as I’m driving. Even the digital rpm on the HUD would fluctuate. Not too long after, the car cranked extra slowly and when it finally managed to turn on, the rpm gauge was completely dead and my engine light as well as the stabilitrak lights came on and the car sounded and drove extremely rough. I would turn it on and off again with out moving the car from the spot and it would do it again. I had to drive a block, turn it off and then back on and it would go back to normal. It happened at least 3 times. After all the hassle I went through with gm and the dealership (only because I had air suspension hooked up and they blamed that even though I had issues before the bad install) it turned out the battery wasn’t holding charge and had a bad cell and the starter shorted out. Replaced both at my expense and now the car turns on instantly with no hesitation at all. The battery gauge also holds steady right above 14 as I’m driving. Before, it would drop down to around 11-12 and fluctuate even after driving all day.