View Single Post
Old 01-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #43
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post

Regarding better grip for acceleration, I beg to differ on this one. Magazine times are basically identical for the SS and SS 1LE and in my experience at the drag strip, the SS 1LE cars are not putting down better 60' or 1/4 mile times than my stock SS. Last time I checked the fast list, I don't recall any stock SS 1LEs running faster than my 12.2 on original tires - that may have changed.

Regarding outright grip on the street, I think it depends on the ambient temps and road conditions. See feedback from "forum member #1" above. On my test drive in 60F weather, I'd say it was pretty hard to tell much difference in capability between the two cars on back roads. Had my test drive been in hotter weather or on better roads, maybe the 1LE benefits would have been more obvious.
I can't speak to a drag strip, I don't drag race, and if I did, 1LE would NOT be the car I would choose, that would go the LT1 trim (different discussion). 1LE is not for drag racing by any means.

On the street, agreed, temps and all not withstanding, I found the 1LE to have less wheel slip and spin than the SS on stock tires (again, I drove 3 different SS cars, 1SS and 2SS trim both in the mix).

Cooler, 1LE will have issues, and not rain friendly. However, this is a pleasure car for me, track days, fun mountain runs and a few road trips, which this car has been superb for!

SS is certainly very capable, but 1LE is a very different experience, at least for me and what I want to do with it.
If I need something more suitable (where the SS would be the better choice), well, I have other cars for that already.

As I said, it is all based on what you want it for, what you will do with it and your own personal opinion based on first hand experience.

Thread like this, will get dozens of opinions, usually boiling down to biased personal opinions (mine included!).

Only you can make the right choice for you. Nobody can argue that point.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote