View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #30
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Good catch on Miata. I didn't know the new engine was putting out those numbers!

I'd still maintain the I4 Camaro/Mustangs are better buys for performance cars. The MSRP for them is close to the MSRP for a base Miata, but realistically the Mustang/Camaro is always much cheaper due to incentives. Plus they are far more practical and will be easier to tune for more power if that's you thing.
Miata's interior is a lot better than Camaro or Mustang's, though. Part of the door interior trim is painted body colour as well. It overall just looks more luxurious than the pony cars.

The two ponies would win in the practicality department for sure, but that's also why they are 50%+ heavier than a Miata.

Turbo engines are actually a bit of a cons for me. I know how easy they are to tune, but that voids the warranty and especially in Camaro 2.0T's case, the engine is factory tuned like a family car turbo - it runs out of breath at higher RPM. That's why I would really take 3.6 V6 if we are talking about non-V8 Camaro. The V6 is debatably cheaper on fuel since it only needs regular while 2.0T prefers premium. Given a sports car that's driven hard, I also don't think it can hold up as well as an NA engine in the long run. And oh, turbo engines are known for their Eco/Boost effect. Want good gas mileage? Better be driving like a grandma and never use the boost. Drive it hard and watch the gas mileage become worse than a similarly powered NA engine - gotta run it rich to prevent knock. I only know Mazda has a solution to combat this(EGR cooling), but their 2.5T isn't a performance engine, either. And turbo lag, can't forget that.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote