View Single Post
Old 07-13-2022, 11:31 PM   #12
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I tried all kinds of things to get mine to lock earlier and ramp faster. Unfortunately this is a common issue and HP Tuners unfortunately doesn't have the functionality we need with the correct table definitions available to properly control this transmission.

Mine ignores the command to lock right when it gets into second and doesn't start locking until the very end of second and it ramps pretty slow to where the ramp takes a couple thousand rpm's before it starts to couple, so its basically slipping through second, but about halfway through 3rd it finally locks.

I have never understood the argument of not locking the converter. With a stock converter its one thing as they slip less so the difference is probably negligible. Anytime the torque converter is unlocked you are wasting energy and diverting some of the horsepower that could go to your rear wheels to the torque converter slipping where it escapes as heat in your transmission fluid. All a torque converter is doing when it is slipping is acting like a lower continuous gear of about a 2:1 ratio that is proportional to the slip RPM so as its slipping your engine is revving up faster than your tires are revving up so you are trading a little bit of speed for more torque at the wheels.

This is helpful for the launch in first gear, but with our 8 and 10 speed transmissions we only need the torque convertor in first gear. If we still had 4L60s and powerglides it would be completely different and we would need to torque converter to provide that extra artificial gear ratio and help get the engine at a higher RPM where it has better volumetric efficiency.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote