View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 05:59 PM   #40
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
GM solid cradle bushing kit 84341929

This was quite a job. Much thx to all that went before me. Most especially to the guy that posted the video on removal of the old bushings with a two arm puller. That worked like a champ! Didn't even need to heat the cradle to soften the glue, awesome!
The cradle had to be dropped, this means that the exhaust & driveshaft had to come out of the car. The garage floor was full.
The cheap trans jack was used for both the exhaust and cradle. Finding the balance point for the exhaust was pure luck, I got it close enough. supporting the cradle where it was flat was more of a challenge, the first pic is how it ended up. I did not need to disconnect the differential cooling lines, the clips were removed along the trans tunnel and the lines hung free. Plenty of slack to drop the cradle enough to get the puller on the bushings.
I wasn't sure how stable the car would be on the QJ with the rear cradle out, so I placed jack stands under the engine 'just in case'. The car did not move, the stands did not get any load transferred to them. Reassuring.
Something else: the alignment was off before the cradle was dropped. Not sure what difference that makes, but it is correct now. This is in regards to using correct sized pins to line up holes in the body and cradle.
It was not difficult, just takes time working on your back. I will get the car aligned tomorrow and have COTA planned for the 18th.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf GM solid cradle bushing kit 84341929.pdf (12.36 MB, 372 views)