View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #211
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
I'm pretty sure the reason for encrypting the buss data is to prevent the hacking takeover of the car such as has been shown on TV in the last few years. I'm okay with that. Since my hearing is slowly fading, I find that the stock system sounds okay.
while i dont totally disagree that data communication between car computers should be protected from evil hackers who somehow have physical access to your cables in your car but dont just steal your car. Audio doesn't have to be included in that bucket. (and the reason they're encrypting those data streams is less about hackers and more about making sure anyone who wants to work on the car has to buy their equipment to unencrypt and communicate with the various bcms and ensure no aftermarket replacements). Most hacking vectors have to do with the car's wireless connection to the internet or your key fob ...not any of the actual wired communication.

Audio going to the amp doesn't have to be a protected data stream.

Additionally, a concern about aftermarket audio these days also includes supporting the ever changing software and technology related to streaming services or connecting to other devices. Being forced to be stuck with the hardware and software of your oem either limits you to what existed at the time the car was built or at best, limits you to whatever software updates your oem deems fit.

things like newer bluetooth specs as they come out. Things like improved android auto/carplay (like wireless support etc). Things like supporting hd radio if radio is your thing. Supporting playback of physical media in newer or different codecs ..etc etc. It's more than just about swapping in different speakers and amps.

anyways, not to derail the thread. but yea. my ideal 7th gen camaro would be pro-consumer ...not only making such future-proofing ideas possible, but making them easy. So when every other car owner is frustrated they can't do this or can't do that or how expensive doing some job on the car is or how they have to take it to some dealer to be worked on, i can laugh at them in my 7th gen that goes out of it's way to like its owner ...rather than seemingly being built to spite the owner whenever it can.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote