Thread: A10 or M6
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 03:42 AM   #151
Jon A

Drives: 2014 L86 Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrennyZL1 View Post
May I ask where you have heard the A8 has short comings? The only complaint I have heard from Z06 guys is that compared to DCT (like the PDK) shift from pressing paddle to actual shift isn't as fast. .
Mainly the Corvette forums--issues with overheating, etc. I'll admit I didn't follow too closely as they just reinforced my long held beliefs about autos on the track and that the manual is what you want for that car if you're going to track it. Though like I said, I didn't follow too closely. It's possible it's more capable than I gave it credit for.

Don't get me wrong, (unlike the other guy) I think it's a fantastic transmission as autos go.... My 2014 truck has the A6 and I really wish it had the A8 to the point I'd even consider a swap if possible as it is that much better for towing. I just never seriously considered it might be something I'd choose for a roadcourse car.

But the A10 has my attention--if it can run without heat issues, mimics the performance of a DCT and is indeed that much faster around the track, it may be time for me to embrace the modern technology....

Years ago when I first put a data acquisition system on my car I was shocked--yes shocked!--that I was losing more than 4/10 of a second during each shift while accelerating. When you're trying to improve your laptime by a couple of tenths or beat your competitor by even a couple of hundreths, the idea I was basically "coasting" for nearly a full second when I should be accelerating on the front straight alone clued me in that "old school manuals" weren't going to be the best tools for the job forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrennyZL1 View Post
I also actually live in the Everett area, if you want to experience the A8 in the Z06 first hand let me know! I personally think the shifts are damn fast and very precise but I don't have any experience with PDK, lambo, Ferrari or anything of that nature.
Thank you! I definitely want to take you up on that! Unfortunately I've decided to cancel all my track plans for this year due to work but would love to take a spin around the block with you. If you've been to the Ridge or Bremerton in the last few years you may have seen me there. I haven't been to PR for a while but do still consider it "my home track."

Last edited by Jon A; 04-22-2016 at 03:56 AM.
Jon A is offline   Reply With Quote