View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I installed mine, including front bumper.

Previous experience was a couple mt bikes, that was very easy... the car was NOT.

Unless you have experience installing larger pieces on complex surfaces, or have a lot of mechanical aptitude and a lot of extra time, DON'T do the front bumper yourself. It took me a full days work just for the front end pieces and didn't come out perfect. It's good enough nobody notices the flaws unless I point them out, and the guy that did my window tint was very impressed, but I wouldn't do it again.

Other parts of the car are MUCH easier but still very challenging to do large pieces like the leading edge of the roof and rockers. This stuff I'd do again...

One thing I'd do differently, for the panel in front of the rear wheels I'd use 14 mil PPF instead of the normal 8 mil thickness. I'm actually going to add a 2nd patch of matte PPF over the clear to hide all the flaws you see in clear PPF, this area of the car gets blasted. Also, I'd consider PPF up to the top of the rear wheelwell and not just the bottom panel.

Total investment for this, including pieces protecting the trunk, and other minor pieces is about 3 full days of work and $600 for a precut kit on the front end and bulk material elsewhere. A shop would have charged $2-3k.

If you do it, get an OLFA knife w/black blades and break off the blades every couple feet, it dulls blades super fast and Xacto and other blades are not sharp enough. OLFA black or scalpels only. And watch a few YT vids...

Good luck!

P.S. I'd also consider ACS side skirts and rock guards.