Thread: Nitto 555RII
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 10:06 AM   #17
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls_Camaro View Post
I may have heard of the original 555r hooking better from maybe 1 or two people but also quite a few folks have mentioned the R2 was better. However I do like that the R2 have a higher speed rating than the original which is a plus. How low of a roll do those R2’s hook nicely? If you do lower the air pressure on them and do a dig mind letting me know how they performed?
I tested both versions at 23 psi, According to Dragy I 60ft a half tenth quicker and 0-60 is 2 tenths quicker on the 555r. The R2 break loose above 4500rpm when I try to put the throttle to the floor where the 555r would grab. On the street with a light first gear burnout, I am rolling into the throttle off the line. Log shows 40% throttle by 9mph, and 100% by 28 mph( So it's not like either tire dead hooks). This netted me 1.8 60ft and 3.1 0-60 with the 555r and 1.85 60ft with 3.3 0-60 on the 555r2. I have the air pressure lowered to 21psi now and will report back when I get a chance to try a couple digs. I did try a 30 roll from 2nd and they hooked as good as the 555r.

All that being said, for most people I would say the 555r2 is going to be a better all around tire even if it ends up having slightly less traction from a dig. The stiffer sidewall, higher speed rating, stabillity, and longer tread life make it worth the trade off for those that drive their cars daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls_Camaro View Post
Those that mentioned about having the 555 G2s up front how well do they corner? Do they grip the road well enough to help stop the vehicle pretty good? Are they worth pairing them up front with the Nitto radials on the back or is a stock all season tire up front preferred with the radials in the back?
They seem to be a nice improvement over the factory GY runflat that come standard on the SS. Much quieter and ride better with no noticeable loss in handling. I don't road course my car either but I have taken a curve at 75-80mph and they handled fine. The only complaint I have ever heard about the G2 is they don't have very good traction if you run them on the rear...but honestly no street tire wheel will with cars that are 550+ wtq. So far I am very pleased with the G2 up front and R2 in rear.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote