View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
70chevelleSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1970 chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I used to have a 05 Duramax and the Allison had the same horrible shift quality. Of course you can't expect a truck like that to have as quality of shifts, but the Allison would randomly for no reason shift unnecessarily hard and clunk and bind on rolling downshifts. It also had an extreme amount of backlash that made the problem worse. Low speed stop and go traffic was the worst, you would let off the pedal and your head and body would be thrown forward, then when you press back on the gas it would clunk and throw you back. The Camaro does the exact same thing I really need to daily drive a different vehicle to see if this is just a GM problem. I don't think ive had enough seat time in another vehicle to take notice if this is a problem with other cars.

That’s odd, my duramax is butter smooth. Of course your 05 was an LLY which had the five speed allison. Mine has the 6 speed so maybe they have improved it.
My duramax (246k miles as of today) is much smoother shifting than my Camaro, and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the torque converter on the truck doesn’t lock unless you’re in fifth or sixth at cruising speed.
The Camaro starts locking the torque converter very early on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk