View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #29
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Old wives' tales aside, there is merit in upgrading to a new model after 3 years. This is assuming a new car comes with 15-25% discount (as all my vehicles did) which is just a matter of proper market timing.

My 2017 SS 1LE has cost me $12k over 3 years (not counting track consumables) based on its purchase price less current trade in. Not sure what exactly i could possibly lease for $4k per year all in, but pretty sure it would be an econo $hit box. I like 3yr change overs because of full bumper to bumper warranty, zero unscheduled maintenance/repair costs and good trade in value (yep, i have a spreadsheet for it )

Looking at a 2020 SS 1LE the future cost (discounted price less trade in) is very similar to my first purchase, even for a factory order. Ive been thinking of a ZL1 as well, but it is easily an extra $25k plus more $ for track budget.

And do i really "need" more power? Sure!!! Well, not really! This car in its stock form already spanks some seriously uber cars if one is capable of driving it close to its limit. My love for this car hasn't waned one little bit after 3 busy seasons...

Not a dig at the big brothers with blowers and even fancy DSSV dampers, but driver skill still matters the most - in most situations. Also, no matter what ya bring and how much you spend...somebody will always be faster. And sometimes not because of power, but because of rubber.
At a race track anyway. NB I have less than zero respect for anyone who "races" on public roads.

Anyhow, congrats to the OP on the ZL1! I am sure you'll love it! Also need to say i agree with JROC's comments, especially in the other thread. Words of wisdom.
Cheers!

PS fyi my numbers are in CAD not USD and a cash vs financed purchase.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote