View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 10:11 PM   #8278
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
the cars make almost 480 crank from the factory.

and as much as i like the ZL1, i dont think there is much in comparison with a gt500. if i recall correctly, you were also the one comparing your bolt on gt mustang to ZL1s from 40-70 or whatever. my car ran 40-70 in <3 seconds and that included a shift (m6)
Ha, yes, good memory. It was 20-70 mph in 3.28 sec IIRC with some bolt ons, and I was thinking that wasn't that far off the ZL1's time for the same mph interval.

Like Blaq said, it was only momentary, as a ZL1s extra hp would have widened the gap the longer the theoretical race went on. Horsepower is work over time, and 3 seconds just isn't much time for the extra hp of the ZL1 to do the extra work of accelerating the car. It was a stat I cherry picked as being close because I was surprised at the time.

And as far as a ZL1 not being comparable to a GT500...I disagree. They are comparable in every performance metric except for a straight line. Even then, in street conditions from a low speed, they aren't that far off 0-80 mph or so. I agree from a 50+ roll the GT500 is going to walk a ZL1 assuming the GT500 can hook up (again, ZL1 = better weight distribution). The C6 stock ZL1 fast list has a couple of high 10.9s in the high 120s, which is slower than a GT500 fast time, but not world's apart.

And we know in braking and handling the ZL1 is easily comparable to a GT500. Every test I've seen the ZL1 actually stops better than the base GT500 and on par w/ the GT500 CFTP. The ZL1 has a quicker Motortrend figure 8 time than even the GT500 CFTP: ZL1 is 23.1 sec vs 23.5 sec. for the CFTP and 24.1 sec for the base GT500. I'm not saying the ZL1 is faster than a CFTP GT500 around a track, it's not; that's the ZLE's level. I think the figure 8 times are evidence of the better Alpha chassis, better weight distribution, superior eLSD diff., and lighter weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
The ZL1 has shown many times that it can throw hands with just about anything under the 100K price mark and hold it's own.
Yessir, agreed!

Quote:
He has seen the error of his ways, seen the light, repented from his transgressions, asked for forgiveness, got onto the right path, converted, and he is now one of us!! LOL!!
Haha!

Quote:
In all realness, there was a lot of truth to that debate back then. A bolt on GT with proper gearing and weight reduction and on an E85 tune COULD potentially keep up with a stock ZL1 even if only for a short burst. I'd say by 70-80 the ZL1's rate of acceleration will be higher than the GT tho. And that kinda just means that in their own particular environment certain cars can beat other cars even if they are ultimately slower. The C8 will beat a GT500 to 60 MPH for sure. But it is all over after that. There have also been some C8s that were able to keep up with ZL1s on a roll up to a certain point. And not for nothin, but outside a timed event, it is possible that a ZL1 could cover a quarter mile distance quicker than a GT500 as we saw with the Throttle House (or whoever they were) comparo.

FTR, I raced a highly modded WRX to about 130. This was in my HC and it was on a private track. We started off from about 50 MPH and I got the jump...until about 80 MPH or so when he basically flew by me. This happened 3 times.
I agree - at low speeds with the right gearing, my GT put up some good numbers. For example, I did 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds with the bolt ons on my first and only attempt - on all seasons!

It had 3.55s, which helped for short bursts. That combined with the 4.7 first gear allowed it to send ~7,500 ft-lbs to the rear tires, which is a lot. See my previous post which shows the ZL1 can send ~8,700 ft-lbs to the rear tires - neither of which the cars can fully put down on street tires in 1st gear. And in the form I had my GT it was ~180 lbs lighter than a stock ZL1. Gearing+lighter weight+flat high rpm torque curve meant my GT could sort of hang for a short moment before the extra work the LT4 is capable of would lay my GT to rest.

I think that is a similar comparison (but in reverse) to the ZL1 and GT500 in a straight line. The ZL1 is lighter and less powerful, but can sort of hang for a bit at lower speeds (and definitely from a dig with the extra torque and better weight distribution). The GT500's extra hp will show over time and walk away from a ZL1 as the race goes on.

I can honestly say that I don't regret getting my ZL1 instead of paying more for a base GT500. I've seen 3 GT500s up close since I got my ZL1 and wasn't envious of any of them (they were sweet though). I thought about how my car performs as good or better (except in the 1/4 mile), but for less money. That's how I know I made the right choice.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote