View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #9
Camaro1989

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
People don't "swear that you get performance gains", it's quite simple, non-run-flats (aka, normal tires) are better for performance, lighter, more supple, less unstrung weight, better traction, etc.

The whole run-flat thing is somewhat of a way to increase profits, rather than give you anything useful. Most punctures are such that sealant will seal them easy, at least long enough to get to a place to get a new tire. Most holes that can be sealed, will be repairable, but not always of course. Modern tires, even run-flats, are much stronger than tires of old and as long as you are keeping them in good order and replacing them when necessary, it's highly unlikely you are going to have a massive-blowout, and if you do, a run-flat won't help you one bit. Let's say you actually DO use the run-flat feature, driving ON the run-flat destroys the sidewall and it must be replaced if you actually do this, and you'll need at least TWO new run-flat tires to account for the tread-wear. So what did the run-flats get you?

Are there situations where run-flats would be useful? I suppose, but the kind of punctures that they protect you from are usually the kind that can be plugged on the side of the road or sealed up with a can or two of sealant until you can get to the shop. I wouldn't recommend them unless you do a lot of driving in a lot of uninhabited areas. I think it more comes down to people don't want to have to get out, put some sealant in there, put some air in there, and get to the shop. When I've had flats, sometimes it was just a matter of adding air, because the gummy-inside of the tire seals pretty well around the screw or nail or whatever, but it seems that a big part of the run-flats is the convenience of just being able to "bring it to the shop" without having to do anything to the tire, so you can later buy some more run-flats. The premium for that convenience is not worth it for me.
I agree with what you say about run flats. They were just on my car when I got it and I never really planned on replacing them with run flats. I've had two flats on other vehicles in my life. 1 I hit a massive pot hole and bent the rim (cheap car so not that big of a deal) and 2 the tire shredded when I was going down the freeway. Run flats would have done nothing for me in those situations so I guess my experience is what has me looking for a spare. It's stupid that GM just didn't include one with the car...
Camaro1989 is offline   Reply With Quote