Thread: Tire PSI
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #6
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Always check and set mine cold when it's sat in the garage overnight. Anything else and you've got the atmospheric at play like sun and air temp that will effect the PSI. Assuming youre using air vs nitrogen.
I'll chime in on nitrogen as I'm hoping no one is paying for it in their tires. If you get it for free, by all means, take it, but do *not* pay for it.

they wanted to charge me $190 for nitrogen when I bought my car. It's stupid. compressed air is already ~78% nitrogen. the principle is sound, that nitrogen molecules are bigger than oxygen etc. However, since most compressed air is that much nitrogen anyways, you aren't getting much different than what you'd normally get from a simple air compressor.

Everything being equal (same size tire, same temp, same rim, etc) you'd only lose ~1 psi less over the course of ~60 days than with compressed air.

nitrogen in tires is almost like snake oil. If you see otherwise, there are absolutely other factors involved changing what you're seeing.

Also, I agree with Glen. I've always ran 1-2 psi more than recommended (while hot) in everything I drive, and I've never gotten abnormal wear that wasn't alignment based.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote