View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
SS2017_MJB

Drives: 2017 SS Coupe 2SS 8AT (427CI, D1X)
Power Adder Added

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmix300 View Post
Don't forget to break her in the way you plan on drivin her

welcome to the club, cannot wait to see the power-adder installed.
I would be interested in learning the decision factors for going the turbo route vs. the SC route.

I asked my speed shop of choice (JPC) to spec out the supercharger path and the turbo path at the end of 2017/beginning of 2018 so we could discuss pros and cons - technical, cost and schedule. JPC had extensive experience with street-geared as well as strip-targeted builds incorporating superchargers or turbos, plus we gave some brief consideration to NOx. I wanted a car that was driveable-as linear as possible without being too touchy under 80MPH. They dissuaded from NOx. They told me if I wanted to position myself for real competition on strip -- making north of 1,000 RWHP is their criteria for that category -- then go with Hellion dual turbo. Parts and labor would be $14K starter. And then the entire drive train would *have* to be upgraded and all wheels/tires also reconfigured-so more dollars. Or I could go with entry- or lower middle range centrifugal SC like Procharger D1SC or the P1X. That option was a $10K total for parts, install labor, tune, dyno package. I could anticipate between 500-600 RWHP. No messing with internals of engine and no expensive upgrades of LT1 fuel system. I already had purchased and paid for install of full-length tube headers from Kooks so that was really the deciding factor. Headers would not conflict with Procharger but they would be scrapped for the Hellion upgrade. I did not examine the PD or roots style SC, i.e. Whipple, because I did not want to have the huge low-end power at slight touch of accelerator. I grasped the coolness factor but my choice was to favor mid- to high-end profile of centrifugal SC.
SS2017_MJB is offline   Reply With Quote