View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #44
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Sorry to hear about your issue.
Never been inside a modern LT1, but pushrod engines are all the same, essentially.
After an overrev, (aside from obviously broken parts) the only thing a mechanic can really tell by examining is if there was piston-to-valve contact. The excessive revs exceed the design limits of the valve springs and cause the lifter to be "thrown" away from the cam lobe instead of following it back down nicely like it should. This lets the valves and the piston occupy the same space, not good. If the valve-to-piston contact was light, your motor's bottom end should survive with just some nicks in the piston top. This can be determined with a bore scope, as you have found with your mechanic.
You'd have to tear the top end all apart to make sure everything that might have been damaged is checked out/replaced.
Pushrods can be checked for damage, as can valves and rockers. Valve springs can be rate-checked to see if they have been weakened, but personally, I would never trust them again. If a valve spring breaks, you will really have some valve-to-piston contact and serious damage. I would have the top end serviced by the dealer and see if they will warranty it.

Good luck, my friend.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote