View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
kkriskal

Drives: 2018 2SS Triple Black Performance
Blizzard, Snow, Black Ice, Sleet, Snowy Mountains, Blowing/Blindin Snow - Never Again

Hello Friends,

I had to travel to Portland OR for personal reasons. My daughter and I checked the route, weather, road conditions etc. and finalized a window when it was clear, (apart from just some rain and stuff around 42 F) during the duration of our trip (now I know it was supposed to be clear and just a prediction). This trip was from Colorado Springs, CO To Portland, OR (close to 1400 miles).

Left Colorado springs, clear all the way past Denver on I-25, then turn in to I-80 entering Wyoming, drive for a mile or so, first flashing signs, " Blowing Snow, Blizzard, Black Ice, Slow Down and use caution"). I am like what???? My car is just one month old so never got around to changing tires, still running performance tires. And guess what, every bit of what that sign said, HAPPENED. Slipping, crawling, then slipping again, then crawling again and a whole lot of Prayers, This went on for hours, we were tensed like crazy and then my daughter who was with me, said, Daddy, I just checked the weather again, we cross Wyoming somehow, we will be fine. Since I was driving so slow with hazard lights on, it took us forever to cross Wyoming. Entered Utah, what a relief, or so I thought, we got flashing sign board with this welcome when we entered Utah "Black Ice, dangerous conditions, use caution". I was like, is there anyway we can go back or can this all be just a bad dream. Same story, same bad conditions, finally got out of Utah. Entered Idaho, AGAIN, similar snow, sleet, slush, Ice, you name it, it was there.

Crossed Idaho and finally entered Oregon. What a relief, the roads were clear, sky was overcast but no snow or rain. I was like finally this is over, thank god. So we are driving peacefully and finally relaxing and enjoying the drive with music. Then we reach the beautiful "Cascade Range", miles and miles of amazing winding, curvy, up and down mountain pass, it also has something called the "Deadman's Pass". So now the beautiful eager wait to get there was soon welcomed with nightmare called "Blizzard". Check out the pics, it turned out to be miles and miles of worst driving conditions even for the toughest AWD vehicles. I was so nervous throughout this range of slopes and inclines filled with snow, ice and sleet that I couldn't feel my throat or even get words out, that's how dry it got. God know how the car was even moving in this place and how we got out alive and not end up in a ditch or skid of the mountain. Again, you all can imagine how it would have been with the stock summer only tires I have.

Once we got out of the area, it was some icy patches until we crossed Cascade locks and then finally just rain for the last 80 miles of my 1421 mile drive. Never thought I would be so glad to drive in rain.

I have just few things to say. Thank you God for keeping us alive and I would Never try to do something so stupid again.

Have no idea how those tires were able to grip even this much (I keep saying this because I am still not able to get over it). Anyway, never again for sure. Just wanted to share this crazy experience. My daughter took the pics, I was too nervous to even take my hands off the steering.

I am now at Portland and we are exploring an alternate route probably via Sacramento and Grand Junction so we stay as south as possible.
Attached Images

kkriskal is offline   Reply With Quote