shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Yeah, you're absolutely right.
Can't tell if serious or sarcasm lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
The key there, GM went to a new generation with a new platform and powertrain. The current ZL1 bests the Z/28. GM didn't have to use DSSV, an expensive LS7, and CCBs to do it. Hence why they were able to do it for less. The weight savings from Alpha and LT4 made that happen.

Ford didn't build the GT350 to compete with an unknown car (i.e. 6th gen ZL1), they built it to undercut the Z/28. It didn't really vastly exceed the Z/28's performance either. So it's not as big as feat as you are suggesting with a GT500 on the same platform as the GT350 but significantly better handling, power, for a cheaper price. If Ford was bringing out the GT500 on a completely new gen/platform...there might be ways to cut cost some.

As it stands, I would bet on Ford to follow their GT350 formula (i.e. have multiple packages). A base car that is faster than any ZL1 in the 1/4, a track pack that can put it on equal footing with the ZL1 around a track, and a R package designed to be competitive with the ZL1 1LE. That last one will be the tough one to do with staying under MSRP. The S550 is just too heavy. Weight reduction is prohibitively expensive with existing cars, and it helps more in track times than anything. And it will be especially hard to save weight on the GT500 with a blown 5.2L and be under $70K.

The sad reality is no matter if they match or beat prices of the ZL1, they will still cost more thanks to asshats paying ADM. And since Ford is unwilling/unable to do anything about that, pressure to keep the price lower will probably lose out to them wanting to beat the ZL1 in performance.

All valid points. I think to counter the weight, they are going to throw more power at it. I think that is what will help them beat it straightline and keep it close/similar/possibly beat it in the twistys. And I think they will find a way to have it at a similar price point. probably will be a bit higher, but I just don't see a base GT500 starting at Z1LE prices.

And this debate is all in good fun gents

Helping pass the time during slow season at the office.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(