View Single Post
Old 04-01-2022, 01:54 PM   #55
LtColumbo

Drives: 2017 1LT RS V6 A8, 2020 Fusion
Here's my story.

2017 V6 A8 with 17k miles on it. Original battery. Parked in an enclosed garage.

A year ago I installed a Range AFM unit. I did seem to notice slower cranking at that time, if the car sat for a week. According to RANGE, that could be normal.

I would periodically charge the battery over night since I don't always drive the car enough to keep it full-up. Load test shows good.

Now (a year later) I notice slower cranking after only 2-3 days now, so I decided to do a little testing. (I had not checked this forum yet.) Lately I've been using a small battery tender (750mA) and after sitting for only 2 days without being driven or charged, it will take quite a few hours for the light to go green. So far, the battery has never gone "dead."

Working in the trunk to access the battery, I disconnected the trunk light. I opened the driver side door so I could remove the AFM. Closed the door and waited for the interior lights to go off.

After a few more minutes, I measured 179mA draw! I waited a few more minutes, but it remained the same.

I repeated the steps after reinstalling the AFM. The draw is now 203mA. The AFM is drawing 24mA. RANGE said that is too high and to send it back for repairs.

The problem is that, after reading the posts, I see that it can take quite a long time for all of the modules to "sleep." And I read that each door latch has an electrical connection to show "ajar." In my case, I did NOT engage the TRUNK latch connection. I didn't know beforehand.

I need to know what is drawing 179mA. I need to know how to test if that goes down to, say, 25mA, which seems to be the acceptable/normal amount of parasitic draw.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by LtColumbo; 04-05-2022 at 02:29 PM.
LtColumbo is offline   Reply With Quote