View Single Post
Old 08-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #14
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
So a quick word about Android Auto (I'm not sure if Apple Car Play is identical, but fellow developers say it's essentially the same).

Apps that utilize Android Auto don't get full control over the screen in your car. Apps on your phone can choose to utilize an interface provided by Android Auto - this interface is a template that very tightly limits the way an app can present information - such as button placement, number of buttons, an area where static images can be displayed.

That being said, Google Apps for Android Auto, such as the Maps app, get more control over what can be displayed on the car's screen - such as maps, the placement and number of buttons. But this special control is reserved, immediately, for Google apps.

If you really liked Bob's Map App and wanted to use it instead, you wouldn't be able to, on your car's dash. At least until Bob gets blessing from Google and probably the auto manufacturers.

So don't think of Android Auto as seeing being able to see your phone screen on your car, and being able to do everything you can do on your phone from your dash - this is certainly not the case.

Instead, think of Android Auto as an app that runs in your car that apps can utilize, if they've been programmed to do so.

Don't get me wrong, Google Maps even in it's Android Auto form is way better than anything that OEMs have released, and I did not get nav on my order because even if Android Auto won't be available on the 2016 models, I would still use my phone.

On a side note, I think Dodge did it right by working with Garmin to use their software on their in-dash systems, but even Garmin - who are experts at GPS devices and interfaces - pales in comparison to what Google has done with Maps.
CarPlay is exactly the same from my understanding, and apps have to be approved by Apple for use. With Apple's already restrictive approval process for apps in iStore, I imagine it will be difficult to say the least to get them approved....at least compared to Android Auto.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote